Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish.
Today its Top Ten Rebels In Literature (characters or authors) — Those people who stood up for what they believed in despite the cost of doing so.
1.Henry David Thoreau– Wrote the essay Civil Disobedience, and was briefly imprisoned for refusing to pay the poll tax. He refused because of his opposition to the Mexican-American War and slavery.
2. Vasily Pavlovich Aksyonov– Russian writer and novelist, who In 1980 left the Soviet Union and was stripped of his citizenship for writing against the Stalinist political system. His ideas and values led to problems and two of his novels could not be published there.
3. Joseph Brodsky– Brodsky’s poetry was denounced as being anti-Soviet. He was interrogated, and twice put in a mental institution. If that wasn’t enough he was then arrested and sentenced to five years hard labor and served 18 months on a farm in some arctic region. In 1991, Brodsky became Poet Laureate of the United States.
4. Esteban Echeverria– Argentine writer who like the others mentioned wrote literature that was objectionable to the leaders of his country. He was forced into exile in Uruguay.
5. Daniel Defoe– Before Robinson Crusoe, Defoe was imprisoned for writing pamphlets that helped incite rebellion with its political satire.
6. Huckleberry Finn– Despite the mentality of the South at that time, Huck works against this and figures out the right thing to do. He makes his own rules, and decides to help Jim escape even though he would be punished.
7. Robin Hood-Robbed from the rich to give to the poor.
8. Cordelia from King Leer– Well, Cordelia is the only virtuous one who refuses to take part in King Lear’s love test. Poor Cordelia.
9. Katniss Everdeen– Humiliates the Capitol and becomes the poster child for the rebellion.
10. Alanna of Trebond-From the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. Alanna hides her gender so she can train to become a knight. She simply doesn’t want to become the perfect lady.
So who comes to mind for you guys?