Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish.
Today it’s Top Ten Jerks in Literature…I’ll add some manhwa/manga ones as well.
1. Alec d’Urberville from Tess of the d’Urbervilles. He is Tess’s downfall he basically tells her, “I suppose I am a bad fellow—a damn bad fellow. I was born bad, and I have lived bad, and I shall die bad, in all probability.”
2. Angel Clare from Tess of the d’Urbervilles. I tell you so many scums in this book. Dude, I don’t care that he realizes his mistake later on. He is a hypocrite who abandons his wife. I almost like Alec better than him and Alec is just horrible. Tess was too good for either of these jerks!
3.George Wickham from Pride and Prejudice. Not only does he spread lies about beloved Mr. Darcy (who could totally make this list as well) he is a superficial jerk.
4. Hugh d’Ambray from the Kate Daniels series. Am I the only one who thinks he’s not that bad? He could be redeemed, but I have a feeling he’s going to be killed off so I’m trying not to get attached to him.
5. Ben from the Mercy Thompson series. Exiled from London and misunderstood. Granted he is sexist and crude, but he is working on that. I truly love Ben, underneath all that gruffness he is vulnerable and sweet.
6. Prince Shin Lee from Goong. This is actually a manhwa that turned into a television drama that I reviewed. He was so rude, and snide I don’t care if he got somewhat civilized. I’m still not sure I like him.
7. Iago from Othello. Gosh, he is evil. He is responsible for about all the deaths in Othello in some way. Major manipulator.
10. Tsukasa Domyouji from Hana Yori Dango. This is another manga that is considered a classic. As far as I know there’s already been a Japanese, Taiwanese, and Korean television drama based off it. All of which I adore! Domyouji is the extremely arrogant, rich jerk who uses his wealth to get his way… until Makino decides to stand up to him.↓
Any jerks you remember?